OFFICE OF THE CAUSE OF CANONISATION OF SERVANT OF GOD ARCHBISHOP MAR IVANIOS
Catholicate Centre, Pattom,
Trivandrum 695 004,
Tel. 0471-2553737, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
THE CAUSE OF CANONISATION OF ARCHBISHOP MAR IVANIOS
a OFFICIALS OF THE CAUSE OF CANONISATION OF MAR IVANIOS
a CANONIZATION PROCESS
d SPIRITUAL PROGRAMMES
e JULY 15, COMMEMORATION DAY
f BOOKS AND PUBLICATION
BIOGRAPHY OF ARCHBISHOP MAR IVANIOS OFFICIALS OF THE CAUSE OF CANONISATION OF MAR IVANIOS
Promoter : Moran Mor Baselios Cardinal Cleemis Catholicos
Petitioners : Major Archieparchy of Trivandrum
Congregation of the Order of Imitation of Christ
Congregation of the Sisters of Imitation of Christ
Congregation of the Daughters of Mary
Postulator : Most Rev. Thomas Mar Anthonios OIC
Vice-Postulator : Rev. Sr Dr Sandra SIC
Historical Commission for the Cause of Canonisation
President : Rev. Dr James Puthuparambil OIC
Members : Rev. Dr Cheriyan Varikkattu
: Rev. Fr Joseph Poovathumtharayil
Board of Inquiry
Episcopal Delegate : Rev. Dr Michael Vattappalam
Promoter of Justice : Rev. Dr Saju Augastine Kuthodiputhenpurayil
Notaries : Rev. Sr Jose Mary SH
: Mrs Pushpa Jacob
The Preliminary steps towards the cause of Canonisation of Archbishop Mar Ivanios
The Cause of Canonisation of Mar Ivanios was set in motion with the petition submitted by the Very Rev. Fr. Jerome Peedikaparampil OIC, Very Rev. Mother Philomina SIC, Very Rev. Mother Felix DM, the Superiors General of the Congregations of the Order of the Imitation of Christ, Sisters of the Imitation of Christ and Daughters of Mary on 15 July 1997 to the late His Grace Most Rev. Cyril Mar Baselios, the then Metropolitan-Archbishop of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. This request was taken into consideration by the Metropolitan-Archbishop and asked the Superiors General to do the needful. Hence, after due consultation with His Grace and with His Grace’s consent Rev. Fr. Antony Valiyavilayil OIC was appointed as Postulator. The same was announced in the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church through a common Pastoral Letter of the Metropolitan-Archbishop. The Cause of Canonisation was solemnly inaugurated in the Church through a concelebrated Holy Qurbono by the Metropolitan-Archbishop, other Bishops, Clergy and faithful at the St. Mary’s Metropolitan Church, Pattom, Trivandrum in February 1998. On 15th July 2005 the Canonical Petition to initiate the Cause of Canonisation of Mar Ivanios was submitted by the Postulator, Fr. Antony Valiyavilayil OIC to His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Beselios, Major Archbishop- Catholicos of the Malankara Catholic Church.
Mar Ivanios the Servant of God
In consultation with the theologians and the Holy Episcopal Synod, His Beatitude Moran Mor Baselios Cleemis the present Catholicos decided to accept the petition submitted by the postulator to declare Mar Ivanios as Servant of God. And the Syro Malankara Catholic Church witnessed the declaration of Archbishop Mar Ivanios as Servant of God on 14 July 2007 at the Pattom Cathedral
Two offices are functioning in the premises of the Cathedral in connection with the cause of Canonisation of Mar Ivanios. One is adjacent to the tomb of Mar Ivanios, which is mainly for the upkeep of public relations and to guide the pilgrims and the faithful who visit the tomb of the Servant of God Mar Ivanios from far and near. The other is at the Catholicate Center and is meant for office purposes.
a Every evening at 6.30 pm Sandhya Namaskaram (evening prayer) is chanted at the tomb.
a Every Sunday evening and on the 15th of every month at 5.30 pm,
Holy Qurbano is offered at the tomb for specific intentions of the faithful assembled
c Facility for confession and counselling are being arranged at the tomb chapel
c In consultation with the Vicar of the Cathedral Church,
Holy Qurbono can be celebrated at the tomb at any time.
d Two sisters of the team render their services at the tomb guiding the pilgrims
and promoting spiritual programmes.
e The tomb is kept open for the convenience of the faithful and a prayerful atmosphere
is maintained in the vicinity. Every day many visit the tomb to pray and to pay homage
to the Servant of God seeking intercession for their needs and for receiving favours.
JULY 15, COMMEMORATION DAY
July 15 is the feast of commemoration of the Servant of God Mar Ivanios. To prepare the faithful to celebrate the day in a befitting manner, a fourteen –day- preparation with Holy Qurbano, homily on the heroic virtues of Mar Ivanios and prayers of commemoration are offered from 1st July at the tomb. At the end of the day’s ceremony the faithful receive nercha.In connection with the Commemoration Day, a Padayathra is conducted from Perunadu, where Mar Ivanios founded the Bethany Ashram in 1919 and from different centers of the Eparchies of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church. On 15th July morning all of them join together and enter St. Mary’s Cathedral at Pattom. With the official reception of the Padayathra, the day’s celebration starts.
BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS
Biographies of Mar Ivanios
01. Archbishop Mar Ivanios, 2 Volumes - Fr. Thomas Inchackalody
02. Malankara S?ryan - Peter C. Abraham
03. In His Master’s Foot Steps - Peter C. Abraham
04. Mahatmavaya Mar Ivanios - M.V. Thomas
05. Bethaniyude Mar Ivanios - Fr. Louis Moolaveettil
06. Mar Ivanios Ente Smaranayil - Fr. Philip Pantholil
07. Pray?nam – Dr. P.M Joseph
08. Mar Ivanios, Oru Patanam - Varghese Kilichimala
09. Mar Ivanios – Fr. Ommen Ayyaneth
10. Mar Ivanios, Arshajnanathinte Pravachakan - Dr. George Onakkur
11. Thapovanthile S?ryan - Dr. George Onakkur
12. Mar Ivanios, Prophet of Ascetic Wisdom - Dr. George Onakkur
13. The Sun of the Hermitage - Dr. George Onakkur
14. Mah?n?ya Mar Ivanios -K. Tharakan
BOOKS ON MAR IVANIOS
Moolaveetil, Fr. Louis, The Spiritual Life of Mar Ivanios, OIRSI 22,
St. Thomas Apostolic Seminary, Kottayam, Kerala,India, 1977
Gnanadas, Mar Ivaniosinte Sanyasadarsanam,
Bethany Publications 94, Kottayam, 2001.
Chempakassery, Fr.Philip, Thapovanavismayangal,
Bethany Sisters’ Generalate, Kottayam, 2004
Pascal, Mar Ivaniosinte Athulyasidhikal, Thiruvananthapuram
Valiyavilayil, Dr. Antony (ed.), The Theological Visions of Mar Ivanios,
Bethany Vedavijnana Peeth Publications 1, Pune, 2004.
Jacob, B.J., Mar Ivaniosinte An?dhab?lan,
Bethany Publications (ed.),
Abo Geevarughese (Janmasathabdi Smaranika),
Bethany Publications 19, Kottayam, 1983.
Narimattathil, Fr. Chacko,
Archbishop Mar Ivanios – Pastor and Prophet of Ecclesial Communion in the Syro-Malankara Church (1882-1953), unpublished doctoral thesis, Rome 1993.
The Ivanian Voice
The Ivanian Voiceis a biannual publication from the office of the Canonisation. The first volume of the same was released by His Beatitude Moran Mor Cyril Baselios - Catholicos on 2 January 2007.
Books available in the office
A) English Books
01. Girideepam (autobiography), Mar Ivanios ( Available in Malayalam and Tamil)
02. Blossoms of Meditation, Mar Ivanios
03. The Liturgical Year, Mar Ivanios
04. A Guide to Malankara Sanyasa, Mar Ivanios
05. The Holy Qurbono, Mar Ivanios
06. The Sacrament of Confession, Mar Ivanios
07. In His Masters Food Steps, Peter C. Abraham
08. The Theological Vison of Mar Ivanios, Dr. Antony Valiyavilayil OIC (ed.)
09. Archbishop Mar Ivanios (1882-1953), Apostole of Church Union- Margaret Gibbons
10. Malankara S?ryan - Peter C. Abraham
11. Mar Ivanios, Prophet of Ascetic Wisdom - Dr. George Onakkur
B) Malayalam Books
12. Archbishop Mar Ivanios, 2 Volumes - Fr. Thomas Inchackalody
13. Mar Ivanios, Arshajnanathinte Pravachakan - Dr. George Onakkur
14. Daivadasan Archbishop Mar Ivanios, A collection of Essays on Mar Ivanios, Dr. Antony Valiyavilayil OIC (Ed.)
15. Prarthana Manjari, Canonisation office publication
16. Bethaniyude Punyatheerdham, Bethany Sisters’, Generalate, Kottayam
17. Bethaniyude Maharadhan, Bethany Sisters’, Generalate, Kottayam